1. CommitmentHire a web developer who is committed to honor your company’s values and vision. For the time they are working on your project — nothing else, big or small must interfere with what they are building for you. Individual commitment to a group effort is paramount. Ensure you ask your developer what else they are working on, and work it out if they can dedicate themselves fully to the task at hand if your project calls for full-time hours.
2. ExperienceMake sure you are working with the true representation of experience for the job in hand. People sometimes bend the truth to win a contract or try and skip a rung on the ladder. Be sure any potential web developers can match what they say with what they can do. Your candidates must meet your criteria with real life working examples. If you choose to go through a recruitment company, most of them have strict screening processes to ensure that you work with only the most skilled web developers out there.
3. CommunicationHiring a web developer who communicates with your vision, your team, and you as an individual are the foundations of a successful project. Your developer needs to present a clear plan of action for the project. Regular updates and contact are important to keep the project on track especially if you’re managing your freelancer remotely. If you don’t hit it off with your developer on a personable level — it may cause problems later, which could jeopardize the bigger picture.
4. PassionPassion is the energy that will turn your notion into something special. If your developer isn’t passionate and excited about your idea then maybe you should look into hiring somewhere else. A passionate web developer is not only someone who will work positively with your vision but they will also go above and beyond to make your ideas come to life.
5. TrustworthinessIn anything and everything, we do trust is essential. When you hire a web developer, there isn’t a difference. If you have even a splinter of doubt about whether your developer can be entrusted with protecting and realizing what you have set out to do, run a mile and don’t look back! More importantly, trust yourself to make the right decision on who is best for the job, and be sure to listen to your instincts.
6. AptitudeTechnology is advancing all the time and new skills are constantly needed in order to adapt to new innovations. Hiring a web developer with a high aptitude for learning new things helps you stay ahead of the competition. Make sure your freelance developer has their finger on the pulse and knows how to adjust when something out of their comfort zone comes along. Ask about something new they have learned recently.
7. DeterminationSuccess is enjoyed through hard work and determination, rarely is it destined. A determined freelance developer is your best friend. They are someone who can understand the effects an unanswered deadline can have on a company. Ideally, they are someone who is willing and able to overcome any problems which may occur at any cost. Ask about a problem they have recently resolved.
Sharing is caring. Do you have any tips that have worked for you? Please share your experiences and comment below.